The EU Customs Data Model (EUCDM) is the new data and interface model for trans-European customs systems and for Member States’ national customs clearance systems. Its overall objective is to be the single and true source of information for modelling data requirements. It provides a technical tool that models the data requirements laid down in EU customs legislation. Thus, it sets the guideline for the technical developments of the various IT systems used for data processing by customs in the EU.
More information on the European Customs Data Model (EUCDM) is available in this article.
The EUCDM in machine-readable format
GEFEG is the only company to offer the EUCDM in the machine-readable GEFEG.FX format for application.
The unique GEFEG.FX software makes it easy for Member States and the private sector to adapt the EUCDM to national requirements and their own business through reuse and customisation.
Alignment of the EUCDM with own data structures
In doing so, GEFEG.FX supports both the overview of the structures of the EUCDM and the own data structures in-house. It enables easy mapping and thus supports data harmonisation between these structures.
This is done with the innovative and unique methods developed by GEFEG for using and building messaging standards.
The core of these methods is the development of so-called guidelines to define data structures and interfaces based on available message standards. Furthermore, it supports the creation of publications.
EUCDM governance and data quality assurance
Governance is a particularly important issue in cross-border data exchange. GEFEG.FX supports compliance with governance and ensures data quality. Implementations can be validated against the specifications of the customs data model as early as the development phase.
But this support is not limited to the customs data model. Data harmonisation also works with own interfaces based on other standards in this environment. This makes it possible to improve the value chain and the interaction of upstream and downstream partners.
Cost savings and efficiency gains
The increased complexity means that companies often no longer know the data structures of their systems. They do not know what happens when a field is changed in the application or how to get the information they need. In a European or even international context with many national requirements, the challenge becomes even greater. Alignment with the EUCDM leads to significant cost savings here:
The impact of legislative changes on the overall “customs” system becomes transparent.
Examples of publications in the customs environment
Examples of publications created with GEFEG.FX in the customs environment are:
- The European Customs Data Model (EUCDM) itself
- The CITES data model, which is based on the data model of the World Customs Organisation (WCO) (from p. 34)
- The interface to the Customs Management System (ECMS) of the Dutch Customs
More than 6 offers from GEFEG around the EUCDM
The methods and software systems developed by GEFEG are used by both customs administrations and the private sector, such as logistics companies.
GEFEG’s offers on the EUCDM include:
- GEFEG.FX to define the interfaces based on the EUCDM and to harmonise your data structures and interfaces against the EUCDM (and other standards).
- GEFEG.FX.Cloud: GEFEG.FX in the Amazon Workspace Cloud with application of GEFEG.FX in the web browser in any operating system without installation
- GEFEG.Portal as a cloud solution for community building and on-boarding support, e.g. for validation of data, publication of interfaces as well as sharing of information and collaboration.
- GEFEG.Packages with more than 30 other data packages, including the WCO data model, EDIFACT, UN/CEFACT CCTS, GS1, UBL etc. for the development of guidelines and data harmonisation
- GEFEG.Support with workshops and support (not only) for EUCDM and WCO data model implementers who want to customise predefined EUCDM datasets, create guidelines or perform data harmonisation
- GEFEG.API as the latest and worldwide unique component of the GEFEG product family. It allows the creation of APIs based on message standards. In this case, based on the schemas of the EUCDM, but also on any other schemas. This ensures that your API is compliant with a desired message standard.
With our offer, all kinds of digitisation projects can be carried out in the EUCDM environment: Integration projects, API projects and even AI projects can be carried out in a time- and cost-saving manner, as knowledge and complete control over all data are guaranteed at all times.
Of course, this also applies to all projects beyond the EUCDM that are based on the WCO data model or other standards. When will you start your GEFEG project?